Monday 22 July 2013

Security and Privacy {Links - 3}

Our information is not safe on internet..especially if we use Google everyday..now who doesn't use Google regularly..!!!
But Google TRACKS US..
Here is how it trackes us..albeit by sugar-coating it..
And we can opt out of it still I am doubtful about it..because Google has been really suspicious these days.. (Or was it always like this and we came to know now??)

*****

HTTPS means Secured Hypertext transfer protocol..read more about it here.
That article is full of tech lingo so for now just remember that HTTPS should (or must) be preferred over just HTTP. So EFF and Tor Project made this add-on named

HTTPS Everywhere 
Install it  for secure browsing. For Firefox and Chrome both..

*****

This awesome guy Giorgio Maone made an add-on for firefox.. NoScript Security Suite.. He says that
"Rather than disabling JavaScript and other potentially exploitable technologies everywhere, which was the only work-around available, I decided to develop a more usable approach, giving myself and other users the ability to allow active content on trusted sites."
Install it here..

*****


*****


*****

I installed all the add-ons enlisted here..

*****

I made DuckDuckGO my default search engine..and now I am being a bit skeptic about using Chrome because it is made by Google. BTW I am a Computer Engineer, buddying geek, sparsely use Windows and staunch supporter of FOSS. And I personally feel that privacy is utmost important and there should be no compromise when it comes to privacy, security and confidentiality. These three words may sound similar but they have different meanings. (For more information refer to Cryptography and Network Security by William Stallings)