Wednesday 27 November 2013

This is who I am {Pages from Diary - 25}

A cousin of mine got married a week ago. I skipped the wedding function. (I hadn't attended her engagement ceremony too but it had different reasons.. It was my University exam back then). Why I didn't attend her wedding would have been different post altogether..but to cut the story short, I would say, I did not wanted to sound as next eligible girl(as I graduated recently and now searching for job) and another thing, that girl had said really unpleasent things to my Dad.. So I dislike her a lot. So that was that... 

After the wedding ceremony, I got a call from Dad. I did not ask him anything but he told me that wedding function costed 8 lakh INR. I was like WTF. Seriously....?? 8 lakh??? All on decoration and flowers and music system..and food..which nobody eats properly...for relatives we see once or at most twice in entire life time.... Before I start talking about how this money could have been invested for long term, let me come to the point :P

The point of writing this post was entirely different.. In that call Dad told me one more thing..what my Mom said about my absence.. She was rather relieved that I did not came as wedding ceremony started..and the reason being she said to Dad that our daughter would have felt bad by seeing pretty/beautiful girls here(read my other cousins and their girl friends) wearing designer anarkalis, ghagras and makeup-ladden faces.. Because I am not kind of girl who wears anything bling or having trinkets or jardosi or heavy embroidery stuff...  I don't wear makeup..no lipsticks..no blushes..nothing... I am not beautiful or anything.. I hate vanity..  People don't/won't appreciate for how gorgeous I am looking..or how fair I am(its matters a lot to be fair girl in India at least and I am not fair.. I have wheat complexion with little pinkish undertones..).. I usually bury my head either in some mammoth-sized book or laptop or phone.. I don't gossip(the obvious corollary could be I am sort of not social but actually that is not the case.. I am not interested in talking about other people's lives unless they affect me...and unless of course you are talking about Nikola Tesla :P). 

So in short, my Mom would have felt awkward about having/raising a daughter who is like me or at least it is the best possible line I can interpret what she had said. (I actually wanted to say "ashamed" instead of "awkward" but I felt bad about myself).

No.. I am not going to say anything on this.. I cried a bit..and then I felt numb.. 

But one thing I decided to myself.... I will always be as plain and simple and genuine as I am.. If people in my life feel awkward about me, they can move on with their life..themselves... If someone can't accept me with my simplicity and straightforwardness, they better not relate with me in any way... I won't wear makeup or some outfit that I am not comfortable with(this includes saree too). 

This is who I am.. Nobody said you had to like it..